USB Buttons as a Switch Key Alternative
People with a mobility impairment have indicated in research conducted for this affordable access project that there is an effective and affordable alternative to specialist switch key solutions for using computers and tablets.
The solution involves USB buttons which, as the name suggests, is a USB-connected series of buttons which can store a series of keystrokes which are issued once a button is pressed.
Examples of uses from the website include:
- Dedicated browser navigation to a specific website
- Automate often-used phrases in specific applications
- Kiosk user control (for example photo booths, etc)
- Low-level security (store logon in button)
- Close/open/switch applications
- Single-press desktop locking
For people with a mobility impairment, USB buttons have the potential to issue a series of commands which would otherwise be difficult to do. The Ultimarc online store has buttons retailing from about $50 while other similar buttons are available at competitive prices on auction retail websites such as eBay.